This is a quick, easy, and healthy snack that is a soft granola bar, but does need to be refrigerated. It has all the great taste of an apple pie without the added fat and carbs of cake crust and without the extra calories of pie sugar. You can serve this as a desert with perhaps some ice cream, as an afternoon snack, or as an on the go energy supplement.
- 2 Apples – peeled and diced small
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (312 g)
- 0.5 cups Walnuts or Pecans – chopped (60 g)
- 1/3 cup Brown sugar – packed (75 g)
- 14 oz Whole milk (430 g or 383 ml)
- 1 Egg – room temperature
- 3 TBL coconut oil – melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp Ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- Mise en Place – measure and prepare all your ingredients prior to starting.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190 C).
- Grease an 8X8-inch square baking dish with butter.
- Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and sprinkle over the diced apples. Toss until well coated.
- In separate bowl, mix oats, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk milk, egg, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients into the oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the apples and nuts.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top, is golden brown and the mixture is set.
- Allow to cool before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator, or freeze in slices.