If you think about it, the only non-keto item in a quesadilla is the tortilla, so how do we get around that, we make a cheese tortilla and since quesadillas are cheese melted on a tortilla, well you see were this is going. Of course to maximize the experience, you’ll want to use multiple cheeses and make sure to grate the cheese, don’t use per-shredded, it won’t melt properly. To boost the keto quality we add an avocado. Makes 4.
- 1 lb Chicken – cooked and shredded
- 1 Bell pepper – sliced thin
- 0.5 Onion – sliced thin
- 1 Avocado – sliced thin
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese – grated
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese – grated
- 1 TBL Olive oil
- 1 tsp Chili powder – New Mexican of course
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onioin
- Sour Cream
- Mise en Place – measure and prepare your ingredients prior to starting.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C).
- Line two sheets with parchment paper.
- Warm skillet on med-high, add oil and let warm.
- Cook onions and peppers until onions are translucent, ~5 mins.
- Add chili powder, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- Mix the Monterey and Cheddar cheese and spread 1/4 of mix on each tray in an even layer to make the tortilla.
- Bake cheese tortilla for 8-10 mins, until melted but not bubbly.
- Pull trays from oven and let rest two mins. Add 1/4 pepper mix, chicken, and avocado to 1/2 of each tortilla.
- Peel off paper and fold over. Return to oven for ~4 mins.
- Repeat process to make two more quesadilla.