I usually use either a butter cream or cream cheese frosting for my lamb cake. This year I’m going with an almond flavored cream cheese frosting. Once the lamb is frosted, he’s sprinkled with coconut to give him a woolly look. From there, two chocolate chips are used for eyes and half of maraschino cherry is used for the noise. For presentation, I like to put some coconut in a baggie and add a little green food coloring. This becomes grass that the lamb cake sits on top of. From there I arrange colored Easter eggs to make a nice looking centerpiece for our Easter dinner.
The recipe for cream cheese frosting is
- 4 oz butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 cups of confectionery sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- Set butter and cream cheese out for ½ hour to softened somewhat.
- In your stand mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese until smoothly blended.
- Add the extract.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar. Be careful, if you add too quickly the sugar will powder up all over the place. This is a good time to remind you to slow down the mixer speed while adding the sugar.
If the frosting gets too soft, put in frig for awhile. Before frosting, make sure your cake is fully cooled otherwise the frosting will melt.