Here a collection of short stories and essays that I’ve posted. Some are stand alone stories, while other are longer pieces pulled from one of my novels,
- In the Shadow of Mount Rushmore – Trump’s visit of South Dakota
- The Languishing Lack of Something to Look Forward To
- Children of Thalidomide – Should we take the COVID cure
- Birthday Memories – in the era of COIVD
- History’s Most Consequential Prediction – that most never heard of
- Opting Out – No longer consenting to follow my Governor
- Mea Culpa of Grocery Day – Shopping during COVID
- Old Otowi Bridge – Putting COVID into perspective
- Critical Care Nurse – Chance encounter with COVID nurse
- Subconscious Gets Its Say – Forced to face the COVID Crisis
From The Novel: Now It Must Be Done
After months of isolation following Emelia’s sudden death Jake’s reengaged his poker pals, and their plot to make amends for developing surveillance technology to protect the nation that was misused and abused by the Watchers. Things are proceeding to plan when Sympatico storms into their lives escaping human traffickers. At a time when chivalry is at best a cliché casualty, Jake rescues Sympatico launching a tale of unexpected friendship. Set in contemporary Northern New Mexico, NOW IT MUST BE DONE, is a multi-cultural story about the heroism of ordinary people finding their way in an increasingly complex world. The title is drawn from a 1902 Vladimir Lenin pamphlet calling for foundational change, something Jake and Sympatico certainly need.
- Passions of a Padre – Lesson about persistence
- Imaginary Numbers – Two souls occupying the same space
- Jake and Emelia – Tale told from loss to life
- Cowboy Coffee – Importance of doing what needs to be done
From The Novel: Navigating Entropy
A ne’er-do-well from Chicago is thrust into a self-sustaining life when he inherits his uncle’s ranch in the Northern New Mexico wilderness.
- Marquez Mountain – Importance of being tied to the land
From The Novel: Underlying Conditions
While complying with COVID caused changes, a saleswoman with underlying conditions meets a furloughed Chef refusing to acquiesce to new normals.