Here is a recipe for tacos very different than you grew eating at the cafeteria or getting from fast food places. You will notice from the ingredient list that there is no cheese, no sour cream, no lettuce, or tomato. These are served as mini-tacos. This recipe makes 12 street tacos, which should feed three to four people. To stretch the meal, serve beans as a side and follow up with a plate full of sopapillas with honey.
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces*
- 2 limes – one cut into wedges and the other juiced
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 TBL fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 TBL olive oil – divided
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- For serving
- 12 mini flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion – diced
- 1 avocado – sliced – optional
- Mise en Place – measure and prepare your ingredients prior to starting
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, lime juice, 1 TBL olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano.
- In a plastic bag or large bowl, combine soy sauce mixture and meat; marinate for 1 – 4 hours, turning/shaking occasionally.
- Heat remaining 1 TBL oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add steak and marinade. Cook, stirring often, until meat has browned and marinade has reduced, ~5-6 minutes.
- Serve steak in tortillas, topped with onion, cilantro and lime.
Notes: * for flare, you can substitute meat for your steak or if you really want to hop off the grid, use salmon.