Grilled salmon is one of those dishes that has as many variations as there are backyard grill masters. Of all fish, salmon is the best for grilling, it is a hearty fish that holds together well, plates well, and tastes the best. The Mediterranean flare comes in the herbs you grill with the salmon. I recommend a horseradish based sauce to serve with the salmon, but if you don’ t like a small punch with your sauce, I have other sauces you can try.
- 2 lbs Fresh Salmon – cut into 4 fillets
- 4 TBLs Basil – chiffonade, cut into ribbons
- 2 TBL Olive oil
- 4 Green Olives – chopped
- 4 Lemon slices – thin
- 2 TBL Lemon juice -fresh
- 1 TBL Parsley – chopped
- 1 TBL Garlic – peeled, smashed, and minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mise en Place – measure and prepare your ingredients prior to starting.
- Pat fillets dry with a paper towel, then brush on olive oil on both sides.
- Get grill hot. If using a gas grill heat on high and reduce heat once you start to grill.
- Generously salt and pepper both sides.
- In a bowl, mix the basil, parsley, garlic and lemon juice. Rub onto salmon’s flesh side and press in.
- Let the salmon rest while you make the salmon sauce.
- Grill salmon flesh side down to start, usually you start with the skin side down, but we deviate here.
- Cook ~4 mins and turn over for 4 more mins.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped green olives and lemon slices, and of course the salmon sauce.