Garam Masala is a blended East Indian spice that is used in many cuisines. It’s easy enough to make, but you can also buy it. I like to make it, so its fresh and I always have some on hand. It’s your call, but for me, I like knowing what’s in the food I eat and buying garam masala leaves uncomfortably in the dark.
- 3 large cinnamon sticks ~ 3 TBL of of crushed bits
- 3 TBL whole cloves
- 1/4 cup green cardamom pods ~ 2 TBL of seeds once shells and husks are discarded
- 4 large black cardamom pods ~ 1 TBL of seeds once shells and husks are discarded – this is optional
- Combine the cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom seeds, black cardamom seeds.
- If using into a spice grinder or coffee grinder, grind until fine. I use a mortar and pestle, but I’m old school.
- Store the spice mix in an airtight container away from direct sunlight and it will last for a few months.