This may be the best steak recipe you ever make so be prepared. It is both expensive and time consuming, but if you really want to make an impression, this is a sure fire entrée that will leave no doubt you are a chef of considerable talent… and the best part is that it’s not really all that hard to make.
- 1.5 lbs. Flank steak – or hanger steak or skirt steak
- 3/4 tsp Aleppo pepper – or ancho chili, paprika, or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts – crushed
- 1 garlic clove – grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 scallions – chopped thin
- 5 tsp sherry or Red wine vinegar
- 1 TBL cornichons (gherkin pickles) – chopped thin
- 1 TBL cappers – chopped
- 1 TBL whole grain mustard
- 3/4 tsp fresh thyme – chopped fine
- Sugar, Kosher salt and back pepper, sea salt – to taste
- Mis en Place – measure and prepare your ingredients before you start.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Then toast crushed walnuts for 8 mins. Put in bowl.
- Finely grate garlic over the walnuts and toss.
- Add 6 TBL olive oil
- Heat a grill or flat iron (cast iron pan or tray). If heating flat iron on stove use MH heat. If heating on a gas grill, set grill on high.
- Cut the flank steak into 4 strips and season with aleppo pepper, kosher salt and black pepper. Rub (brush) 2 TBL of oil on meat.
- Cook steak on flat iron turning every two minutes until internal temperature is 130F (~10mins). Want steak to be rare. When done, transfer to a cutting board and let steak rest.
- Wipe flat iron and reduce heat to medium. Add scallions and 1 TBL oil. Season with K salt and pepper. Cook 4 mins or until scallions are charred.
- Mix scallions, vinegar, pickles, capers, mustard, thyme, and sugar to nut mix. Season with S&P.
- Slice steak against the grain and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve with scallion sauce over the meat.
Couscous or are good starch sides to go with this. A green vegetable makes a nice plating