Classic recipe made using Sous Vide chicken, crust from scratch, and frozen vegetables with a roux based sauce. Warning, this recipe uses a lot of butter, yum but…
- 3 oz butter
- 3 oz flour
- 1/3 cup onion – chopped
- 1/3 potato – peeled and diced small so it cooks
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 10 oz package of frozen peas and carrots
- 1 lb chicken – cooked day before
- Pie crust – made at least two hours earlier
- Cook chicken: I like to Sous Vide chicken thighs with bone in and skin on to get a rich flavor. I cook this a day ahead and reserve the juice for the chicken stock. Take chicken out of frig when you start the crust so it can warm.
- Make crust: Start minimum of 3 hours before serving time but best to do it the day before.
- Heat oven to 425 deg. F.
- Make roux: In a 2 quart sauce pan, melt the butter and cook onions until translucent then stir in flour. Keep stirring until the flour gets a light toast. Add broth in stages, smoothing out the sauce at each stage to eliminate lumps.
- Add milk. Heat to a boil stirring constantly.
- Add rest. Once the boil starts, add the chicken, potatoes, peas, and carrots and remove from heat.
- Pour sauce into crust-lined dish.
- Cover chicken mixture with pie crust and flute the edge.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Let pie rest 10 minutes before cutting