This is an easy recipe but it does use a lot of different spices.
- 2 lbs chicken – skin on thighs are nice
- 1 onion – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 3 TBL olive oil
- 1 TBL fresh ginger – minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- .5 tsp cumin
- 15 oz. crushed tomatoes from can
- 12 oz. chicken broth
- 4 oz. heavy cream
- kosher salt
- Basmati rice
- Mise en Place – measure and prepare your ingredients before starting.
- In large cast iron pot on medium-high, heat pan and then add oil and allow to warm. Add onion and cook until translucent (~ 5 mins).
- Add chicken and sear until golden on all sides (~ 5 mins).
- Stir in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant (~ 2 mins).
- Coat chicken with remaining spices and cook 1 min.
- Pour in tomatoes and clean up the flan (stuff stuck to bottom of pan).
- Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for one hour.
- Stir in heavy cream and bring to simmer. Cook 10 mins.
- While cooking, salt a pepper to taste and start the rice. I use a rice cooker but you can cook on the stove as well.
Plating: Place a serving of rice on plate. I like to use a an ice cream scoop to make a molded half dome, or a round tin to make a puck mold. Place a piece of chicken on the side of the rice and cover both chicken and rice with sauce. If you want, you can garnish with cilantro.
A nice side dish I like to make is baked cauliflower. But a green vegetable is also nice, like a saag paneer made with spinach. And don’t forget to make a batch of naan bread to serve with the meal.