This cheesy shrimp and grits can be made as a starter or entree, and includes sharp cheddar cheese and bacon along with shrimp sauteed in bacon fat.
- 8 oz stone-ground grits
- 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
- 16 oz. shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 6 slices bacon – chopped
- 3 TBL butter
- 32 oz. water
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 TBL chopped parsley
- 1 cup scallions – thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic – large, minced
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Mise en place – measure and prepare your ingredients prior to starting
- Make grits
- Bring water to a boil, and add salt and pepper.
- Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, ~25 mins.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.
- Saute Shrimp
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well.
- In bacon grease, saute the shrimp until it turns pink (1 – 2 mins).
- Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic.
- Saute for another 3 mins.
- Spoon grits into a serving bowl.
- Add shrimp mixture to the top.
- Serve immediately.