A fried bread dessert with a sugar coating. Best served fresh. Requires a deep fryer or some other way to control the oil temperature. You also need somewhere around a quart of cooking oil.
- 7 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 8 oz. evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar – divided
- 1/4-oz. Active dry yeast
- 12 oz. warm water – divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Mise en Place – measure and prepare your ingredients in advance.
- In a mixer bowl, mix yeast in warm water and add 1 tsp of sugar; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add milk, eggs, salt, and remaining sugar.
- Heat 1 cup water to about 115°F stir in shortening until melted. Add to yeast mixture.
- Mix ingredients at low speed (#1), gradually adding 4 cups flour, until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour and raise the speed to #4. Mix for 4 minutes until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer to a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness, turning repeatedly on a floured surface. Cut into 2 1/2-inch squares.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or fryer to 360°F
- Fry dough in batches, 2 – 3 mins on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack.
- Dust immediately with powdered sugar.